Thursday, September 2, 2010

"I Am Not Yours"

I am not yours, not lost in you,
Not lost, although I long to be
Lost as a candle lit at noon,
Lost as a snowflake in the sea.

You love me, and I find you still
A spirit beautiful and bright,
Yet I am I, who long to be
Lost as a light is lost in light.

Oh plunge me deep in love -- put out
My senses, leave me deaf and blind,
Swept by the tempest of your love,
A taper in a rushing wind.
- "I Am Not Yours" - Sara Teasdale


Sometimes you stumble upon these little snippets of someone else that speak directly into your life at that very moment. Sometimes someone else, someone who died well before you were every even contemplated upon, sometimes they got what you are only just now experiencing in such a way that it instantly revolutionizes the way you originally understood, well, yourself. It changes the way you understand your very own emotions and that is something very few people can do with three simple verses. It is only amplified when much later put to music.
What an impassioned way to say something otherwise lost on most.

No comments: